I told them that I honestly do not care whether they use Times New Roman, Arial, Tahoma, etc, but I do hope that they think before they turn a paper in as to whether the font, size, and color are appropriate to the task at hand.
I also do not care whether or not they get every homework answer correct, but did they learn something? If my students are getting every homework answer correct, am I challenging them?
It reminds me of Kelly Gallagher's thoughts that he writes in the beginning of his current book Write Like This. Gallagher writes:
"You are walking down the street twenty years from now, and a former student recognizes you and rushes up to you. Excitedly she blurts out, 'Oh, it's good to see you! I was hoping to run into you some day so that I can tell you that I am still writing essays that analyze the author's use tone. I keep a 'Tone Journal' at home, and I apply that skill you taught me twenty years ago in the tenth grade to everything I read today! Let's have lunch some day so I can share all the essays I have written recognizing the author's tone found in all books I have read since high school graduation.'
I don't know about you, but if it happened to me, I would run for safety. Instead consider an alternative scenario: You are walking down a street twenty years from now, and a former student recognizes you and rushes up to you. Excitedly, she blurts out: 'Oh, it's good to see you! Did you see my letter in yesterday's Los Angeles Times challenging the governor's proposed budget? I was so incensed I sent a copy both to the governor's office and to my state senator. By the way, have you seen my blog?' That is an outcome that would make any teacher proud."
Since reading this, every time I sit in planning or introduce assignments to my students, I think about whether we are doing this because we have always done it, or is it truly in the best interest of my students?
No comments:
Post a Comment