In Melissa's Demo today on poetry, I realize that I need to add more poetry to my classroom. Actually, I don't do poetry. I had a really hard time picking a poem for our Poetry Walk. I found myself on The Poetry Foundation website wanting to read more and more poetry. I finally settled on the following poem:
Do I need to add poetry to my teaching? Yes.
Is it outside of my comfort zone? Yes.
Would I like to grow in this area? Yes
This is one thing I have loved about the Writing Project. Learning... thinking...and writing through the process. Discovering me, not only as a teacher but, also, as a writer.
Really liking how you summed it all up. Cool how writing has a way of working to make thinking and learning happen, while also being the strand that ties both the pieces and our developing identity together. Well put, and thanks for posting this!
ReplyDeleteAwesome to read about your experience in Melissa's demo. I was equally inspired! So.... Any poetry of your own creeping into your daybook?
ReplyDelete