As Renatta began her Demo on "Silence," I was reminded of this post a friend's post on Pinterest.
Renatta reminded us that from silence comes speech.
Every child is an individual in his or her own way. The color of their hair... their signature...their thinking. Some are vocal and some are quiet. Both are correct. As I move into this next year, I want to be mindful as to the different way children think. So that they can do just that...THINK!

"Some are vocal and some are quiet. Both are correct." These two sentences resonated with me as I read your post. They tell me a lot about you and your outlook on not just your practice but life! We teach (live) in an age where "right" matters. I think that the amount of culture capital placed on this mindset is ruining what you and I are so passionate about...teaching and what we hope to instill in our students...a love for learning. Thank you for posting your thoughts and thank you for the cool conversations we've shared. I write in my last blogpost about how moments with wonderful human beings such as yourself have helped me move my own thinking forward with regards to my doctoral work. Thanks Debbie! Keep up the good fight!!!
ReplyDeleteI loved this poster! I want one for my classroom!!
ReplyDeleteThe Sound of Silence. Sally and I were talking yesterday about a mutual acquaintence who has no concept of silence which allowed me to really personalize the demo and appreciate those who value silence.
ReplyDeleteI love this chart. I agree that silence can be inviting or it can be threatening... learning to listen to it a little bit more.
ReplyDelete"I want to be mindful as to the different ways children think."Yes! I think I felt that very deeply during this demo and although I think I am generally mindful, I can improve.
ReplyDeleteCOol! I am way into the infographic craze! I like how this one identifies both extremes.... The silence convo yesterday had me thinking about the moving between those... Like I really am generally introverted... but when I finally get comfortable in a community I think I'm not so much.
ReplyDelete